What To Do If You Suspect Your Loved One Is Being Abused in a Nursing Home

Nursing home abuse and neglect occurs at alarming rates. While no one wants to think about their loved one being neglected or abused, it is important to be on the lookout for signs of nursing home abuse or neglect. If you suspect elder abuse, you should not be afraid to take action.

If You Suspect Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect

State and federal laws governing nursing homes require that these facilities meet stringent standards that were put in place to protect this vulnerable population from physical, mental, sexual, and financial abuse. Sadly, nursing home abuse and neglect still happens with alarming frequency.

If you suspect a loved one is suffering from elder abuse or neglect, you should take immediate action to protect your loved one.

In Cases of Emergency, Call 9-1-1

If your loved one is experiencing a life-threatening emergency, call 9-1-1 immediately. When you call 9-1-1, your loved one will receive immediate medical attention. If necessary, police can open an investigation into the incident.

If your loved one is not in immediate danger, it might be best to address the suspected abuse or neglect through other means.

Gather Information About the Suspected Abuse or Neglect

Typically, nursing home neglect is the result of unqualified or improperly trained staff and staffing shortages. An experienced attorney can help you and your family through the steps needed to obtain the recovery your loved one deserves. Attorney Tom Robenalt has helped families and their loved ones obtain compensation for elder abuse.

If you suspect your loved one is suffering from elder abuse but you aren’t certain, gather evidence to confirm your suspicions.

Take photos of any injuries or other evidence of abuse. Vary the timing of your visits so nursing home staff does not become accustomed to your schedule and try to hide any signs of elder abuse.

If possible, discuss the suspected abuse with your loved one. Ask them to explain how they are being treated, and make note of their response.

Document any unexplained changes in weight or mood.

Tell Nursing Home Management

If you suspect nursing home abuse or neglect, speak to nursing home management about the issue. Once you have made them aware of the problem, they may be able to intervene to stop abuse by individual caregivers.

Call the Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services

You can report elder abuse to the Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services (ODJFS) and the local County Department of Jobs and Family Services. Once they have been notified, ODJFS is required to investigate and respond to any allegations of nursing home abuse or neglect.

File a Complaint with the Attorney General

You can file an online complaint with the Ohio Attorney general to report suspected nursing home abuse or neglect.

Transfer Your Loved One

If you do not trust that your loved one will be safe and well-cared for, you should arrange a transfer to a new facility.

Robenalt Law Fights to Protect Against Elder Abuse

At Robenalt Law, we will help you explore your options to protect your loved one and seek justice for any abuse or neglect they suffered. We will

  • Request and evaluate medical records to determine whether abuse or neglect occurred
  • Identify evidence that we can use to hold the facility accountable
  • Help you navigate the legal process to maximize your family’s financial compensation

As experienced nursing home abuse and neglect attorneys, we will help you navigate the steps necessary to obtain the financial recovery your family deserves.

We understand that no amount of money will fully compensate your family for the harm your loved one suffered. But financial compensation can help pay for the costs of unexpected medical care, psychological treatment, and damage to family relationships.

If someone you care about suffered from abuse or neglect in an Ohio nursing home, contact the nursing home abuse and neglect attorneys at Robenalt Law today. Call us at 216-223-7535, email trobenalt@robenaltlaw.com, or complete our online form.